Let’s just cut to the chase, this is the embodiment of ‘spared some expense.’
Courtesy of bol.com we have the first look at the Jurassic Park 30th Anniversary collectors set and while at a distance it seems to be a nice package, at closer inspection it just doesn’t hold up. From the steelbook cover just being a trace-over of a statue to the slip case looking like a bit like a photoshop filter disaster – and of course the art cards using Jurassic World dinosaurs rather than Jurassic Park – we have to wonder how this thing made it past approvals.
Wait, why is the Jurassic World T. rex on a beach, why is that the Jurassic World Dilophosaurus and WHY is Dr. Malcolm holding a lightsaber? We are interested in that collectible booklet… but…
We can go on about how influential Jurassic Park is as film and how well-regarded the first film is amongst all fans new and old. We can spit out metrics and have a long discussion about how Jurassic Park has been poorly managed via a series of poor attempts at cash in’s without the work and love required. But that’s just putting more work in than the franchise does itself these days, which is deflating. So instead, we’ll leave you with some pictures, tweets, and a song.
Does someone in the home entertainment department actually hate Jurassic Park, and they’re in charge of the art?
To be fair, the more recent attempts aren’t as awful as this 2013 poster. But let’s be real, that’s a low bar.
@UniversalPics this is such a slap in the face to the fandom. You absolutely know you cut corners on this crap and then you use a statue for the “art,” as well as renders from another film series and not Winston’s original designs??? 🚮 🗑️ https://t.co/7Gq2azP7Fn
Universal Products and Experiences have announced an array of new products and activations for the 30th anniversary of Jurassic Park, which occurs this ‘Jurassic June’. These reveals started today with a new in-universe video, which is part of a ongoing series, plus numerous announcements below… such as the fact that Jurassic Park will return to theaters, and Limited Run Games will be releasing ‘The Jurassic Park 30th Anniversary Retro Collection’ which includes the classic SNES games.
Watch the InGen video and read the full array of announcements below!
Celebrate 30 Years of Those Iconic Gates with All-NewJurassic Park Content, Merchandise and Events for Fans65 Million Years in the Making
From new broadcast and digital content, to exclusive products, events, home entertainment releases and much more, fans can celebrate the awe-inspiring film during #JurassicJune and beyond
Universal City, Calif., April 25, 2023 – Universal and Amblin Entertainment are re-opening the park gates for fans, old and new, to honor 30 years of the groundbreaking, blockbuster adventure Jurassic Park. Life finds a way this #JurassicJune and beyond with new broadcast, digital and game content, as well as exclusive merchandise across a variety of categories, a re-release of the film, retail promotions, anniversary celebration events, fan conventions and more. To kick-off the nostalgia-filled anniversary, check out this lost training video from “Jurassic Park” featuring fan favorite, Mr. DNA; a few more episodes in this fun digital series will be available on the Jurassic World YouTube channel later this month.
“The legacy of Jurassic Park is felt across the world,” said Melissa Rodriguez, vice president of franchise strategy for Universal Products & Experiences. “The film has stayed entrenched in the hearts and minds of viewers since its initial release 30 years ago, while also delighting new fans every year. We’re looking forward to celebrating the footprint this film has left on fans globally through special events, unique merchandise, games and more!”
New content for generations of fans to enjoy!
• Jurassic Park, Jurassic Park: The Lost World, Jurassic Park III, and Jurassic World will be available to stream on Peacock beginning June 1.
• Theatrical re-releases planned for later this year in markets around the world.
• Universal Pictures Home Entertainment will be releasing limited commemorative editions of the film on 4K starting in June (details forthcoming). Jurassic Park and all subsequent installments of the franchise are now available to own on Digital and Disc.
Exciting activations celebrating the classic film will be taking place all year long!
• Across Europe, fans have been asked to get involved with celebrating the 30th anniversary on social, including voting for their favorite original Jurassic Park dinosaur! The fan-favorite winning dinosaurs from each country will be brought to life in epic ways across multiple cities later this summer – be sure to follow #JurassicPark30 to discover more.
• The Natural History Museum of London is celebrating the anniversary with a special pop-up store that is open now through September 2023. In addition to new merchandise, the museum’s Cranborne Boutique has been redecorated and even includes the iconic gates from the film and the opportunity to take a selfie with a dinosaur.
• The Jurassic World By Brickman Exhibition moves to New Zealand in June, then Brisbane in December, and a second exhibition will be launching in Sweden in April.
• Also in Australia, a one-of-a-kind, Jurassic Park-inspired High Tea celebration will be taking place at Cordis Auckland through the end of April.
• Audiences of the Shanghai International Film Festival will be able to watch all six films – for the first time in China – taking place June 9-18.
• More details coming soon, but be on the lookout for Jurassic Park gates and dinosaurs coming to a fan convention near you – including some of the world’s biggest Cons, like Comic-Con International in San Diego:
ㅤㅤ◦ Comic-Con International in San Diego, July 19-23
ㅤㅤ◦ London Comic Con Winter, November 11-12
ㅤㅤ◦ Comic Con Experience (CCXP) in Brazil, November 30 – December 3
• Additional events taking place throughout the year include Jurassic World: The Exhibition on tour in Canada and Germany, the Jurassic World Live Tour by Feld at key U.S. markets, as well as Jurassic Park in concert with live orchestra (in select cities around the world, including Tokyo and Osaka, Japan), and more for other US and international regions!
Additionally, theme park celebrations, as well as exclusive film and new 90s-inspired nostalgia products will be hitting retail throughout the year, with highlights including:
• Universal Destinations & Experiences
ㅤㅤ◦ Universal Beijing Resort: Jurassic Traders will have new Jurassic Park 30th Anniversary product this summer.
ㅤㅤ◦ Universal Orlando Resort: #JurassicJune celebrations that include specialty food & beverage, exclusive merchandise along with a takeover at the Tribute Store.
ㅤㅤ◦ Universal Studios Hollywood: specialty food & beverage, as well as exclusive merchandise will be available during #JurassicJune.
• A Jurassic Park-inspired LEGO® line, marking the first time some of these dinosaurs and characters will be available in LEGO form; The Visitor’s Center (76961) is available NOW for pre-sale on Amazon.com.
• Mattel will also be debuting an all-new collector line with 15 different SKUs and two new plush that will have a nostalgic ‘1993’ feel.
ㅤㅤ◦ A new item revealed today is the 30th Anniversary Plush Dilophosaurus, with more coming timed to #JurassicJune.
• Jurassic Park x Tamagotchi Nano Dinosaur Egg version – you can raise baby dinosaurs in the palm of your hand! Your dinosaur may evolve into over 20 different dinosaurs, and you can see great scenes from Jurassic Park while you care for and play with your dinosaur.
• Jurassic Park CAPTIVZ Build N Battle 30th Anniversary eggs by ToyMonster – this exclusive range feature dinosaur species from the original Jurassic Park movie and rare dinosaurs to chase, including the gold and amber baby Velociraptor; available now.
• Funko will have an assortment of new POP! Figures celebrating fan favorite characters, dinosaurs and moments from the blockbuster film.
• Rubber Road’s popular TUBBZ ducks will thrill Jurassic Park fans with 3 new collectible SKUs for the 30th Anniversary: Raptor, Dilophosaurus and Muldoon.
• WOW! Stuff continues to innovate with their RealFX line –launching an adorable (but equally terrifying) new dinosaur species later this year; more to come!
• Paragon FX Group has released a limited-edition recreation of Dennis Nedry’s iconic Barbasol canister (aka “Cryo-Can”) ensuring fans can have their own little piece of the movie’s iconic history.
• Dr. Squatch, the fast-growing men’s natural soap and personal care company, has launched two Jurassic Park-inspired bar soaps: King of the Briccs and Raptor Rush.
• RSVLTS will continue to support JurassicPark with new anniversary-inspired prints on their popular polos and woven shirts, launching later this summer.
• Dumbgood is bringing back the iconic colorways and graphics from 1993 to their on-trend apparel and accessories; new items launching later this summer.
• TORRID will bring fun and flirty Jurassic Park-inspired fashions for all sizes; new collection launches planned for #JurassicJune.
• Chubbies will expand their awesome neon-inspired Jurassic Park line of men’s swimwear to include boys sizing this year.
• H&M will have a 90s nostalgia line of apparel showcasing the iconic Jurassic Park logo the started it all, along with fan-favorite on-screen moments, all in fun colorways.
• Primark will launch a collection of children’s apparel, home and lifestyle items for families, featuring iconography and favorite dinosaurs from the original Jurassic Park film, and a new first for Primark – interactive plush dinosaurs!
• Box Lunch has the coolest apparel, accessories and collectibles for Jurassic Park fans of all ages; new collections planned for #JurassicJune so stay tuned.
• Loungefly has revealed three new, colorful Jurassic Park accessories: a Dino Moon Mini Backpack, Dino Moon Zip Around Wallet and Life Finds a Way Cross Body Bag.
• Goodr – widely-known for its expansive range of athletic sunglasses designed with the four Fs in mind—Fun, Fashion, Function, and ‘Fordability; the brand is launching a new line of limited-edition Jurassic Park sunglasses in 3 styles (T-Rex in the Rearview, Isla Nublar Tour 1993, and Bingo! Dino DNA) beginning June 30.
• Crocs is expanding on its Jurassic World collection from last year, new 30th anniversary-inspired footwear is coming later this summer.
• Niko and… in Japan has launched a collaboration of zakka home and lifestyle items in stores available in stores and online now.
• Additional products will be available beginning in #JurassicJune through later in the year from partners such as: Iron Studios, Nobel Collections, Mondo, Toy Monster, Playmonster/Koosh, Hasbro, Funko, Rubber Road, Just Play, Wow Stuff, Jada, Spin Master, Random House, Scholastic, Insight Editions, Dynacraft, Advanced Graphics, Innovative Designs, Erin Condren, Bitty Boomers, KIDdesigns, General Mills, and more.
• More promotional exclusive items will be available in celebration of the 30th anniversary including Hormel pepperoni and Jurassic World dinosaur-themed crackers both available at Walmart.
• Smyths Toys will be celebrating the iconography of the 1993 classic film with in-store marketing and new SKUs, including an exclusive Jurassic Park vehicle + dinosaur trackset.
•Jurassic World: Revealed is back for an exclusive collector series celebrating fans at BIG W and The Warehouse NZ.
• Additional mall activations will launch across Southeast Asia during #JurassicJune.
Games and digital collectibles are getting into the action too!
• Jurassic World Alive, the free-to-play geo-location-based AR game developed by Ludia and Jam City, will feature new gameplay celebrating the most iconic moments of Jurassic Park as well as the original dinosaurs that fans adore. In addition, players can anticipate exciting partnership announcements and new brand integrations culminating in an eventful gameplay experience honoring the 30th anniversary of Jurassic Park.
• A collaboration with Limited Run Games to release The Jurassic Park 30th Anniversary Retro Collection is planned for later this year. The collection will include various versions of the classic and beloved Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park 2: The Chaos Continues games. Limited Run will also create exclusive, limited-edition Jurassic Park merchandise inspired by the titles that both gamers and Jurassic Park fans can get excited about. More news to come in the following months.
• Frontier Developments will be bringing Jurassic World Evolution 2 players even more mesmerizing dinosaurs for their parks with additional DLC packs and new content.
• This summer, VeVe will also be celebrating the Jurassic Park 30th anniversary by dropping unique digital collectibles on their marketplace. Featuring iconic items from the original movie, these digital collectibles capture moments in time that are a must-have for Jurassic Park fans.
Follow #JurassicPark30 on social for more details and upcoming celebrations.
Experience one of the biggest films in motion picture history with director Steven Spielberg’s ultimate thrill ride, Jurassic Park – celebrating 30 years in 2023! Featuring Academy Award®-winning visual effects and groundbreaking filmmaking, this epic film is sheer movie-making magic that was 65 million years in the making. Jurassic Park takes you to an amazing theme park on a remote island where dinosaurs once again roam the Earth, and five people must battle to survive among the prehistoric predators. Starring Sam Neill, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum and Richard Attenborough, discover the breath-taking adventure you will want to experience again and again.
About Universal Products & Experiences
Universal Products & Experiences (UP&E) globally drives the expansion and elevation of NBCUniversal’s iconic collection of brands, intellectual properties, characters, and stories based on the company’s extensive portfolio of properties created by Universal Pictures, Illumination, DreamWorks Animation and NBCUniversal Television and Streaming. The division executes this through innovative physical and digital products, engaging retail and product experiences across our expansive global theme park destinations (for both owned and 3rd party IP), location-based venues, e-commerce product platforms, and retailers around the world. Along with global brand strategy and creative, UP&E’s three lines of business include Consumer Products, Games and Digital Platforms, as well as Theme Parks Products & Retail. UP&E is a division of Universal Parks & Resorts, part of NBCUniversal, a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation. More information is available at universalproductsexperiences.com
While there is a lot here, most are general merchandise tie-ins without much bravado, and we do notice a lack of real fan-events, such as the Jurassic Park 25th anniversary celebration panel at Universal Studios Hollywood.
Let’s hope more announcements are soon to come!
How are you celebrating the 30th Anniversary? Let us know in the comments!
It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and while Jurassic may be a Summer film series, the merchandise goes hand and hand with the snowmen and long shopping lines. Whether you’re shopping for yourself, Christmas, or otherwise, there is no short supply of dino-themed gifts out there.
We’ve accumulated a list of some of our top picks of Jurassic World merchandise, perfect for fans of all ages to make your shopping easier:
Fallen Kingdom Blu-ray & DVD
This one is a given, and odds are you already own one of its many releases. However if you’ve yet to pick a copy up, or are buying for another lucky fan, here are some of our top version choices.
Celebrate the legacy of Jurassic Park by bringing home a piece of history with this exclusive limited edition 1:1 prop replica of John Hammond’s Amber Cane, cast from an original studio prop with an expertly crafted finish. Special Jurassic Park logo plaque, hanger clip, and wall mount hardware included.
This official prop from Chronicle Collectibles is exclusively sold at Paradise Collectibles, and is limited to 1000 units. Check out this review from our friends at Jurassic Collectibles!
Who doesn’t love when LEGO combines its forces with dinosaurs, especially Jurassic Park dinosaurs? These LEGO sets are sure to provide long brick building fun for fans of all ages, and are primarily based upon moments from the latest Jurassic World. The following sets are our top picks from the line, varying in price:
Get ready for thrilling action and adventure with Jurassic World! Thrash ‘n Throw Tyrannosaurus Rex is in the style of the fan-favorite character from the original Jurassic Park. Now she’s back and better than ever with awesome action features! In addition to authentic sculpt and decoration, Thrash ‘n Throw Tyrannosaurus Rex has sound effect features like chomping and stomping, an impressive roar and a HUGE bite. Use the tail activation to open mouth and pick up other human and dinosaur action figures, and then thrash and throw them across the room! Recreate all your favorite epic dinosaur action scenes from the movie, but watch out—this Tyrannosaurus Rex is ready for a fight!
Get ready for thrilling action and adventure with Jurassic World! Mosasaurus, the colossal swimming creature, is back again and makes a bigger splash than ever in the film! This action figure is inspired by the movie and comes in a massive size that will thrill fans! Mosasaurus features authentic textured skin, realistic sculpting and articulation that makes this colossal creature come to life! Colors and decorations may vary. Are you the ultimate dinosaur expert? Download the Jurassic World Facts app to bring your Mattel Jurassic World dinosaur figures to life and learn fun facts!
Get ready for thrilling action and adventure with Jurassic World! When an Indoraptor escapes at Lockwood Estate, no man, woman, child, or animal will be safe during his hunt—especially with his night-vision capabilities! An abomination hybrid of the villainous Indominus Rex and the vicious Velociraptor, Indoraptor is the most terrifying and deadliest dinosaur ever masterminded—the latest brainchild of Dr. Wu. Inspired by the film, Grab ‘n Growl Indoraptor wreaks havoc and fear with his mere presence. His ominous features include red eyes that light up and glow, slick black scales, long arms with dagger-like claws and extra articulation that he will use to catch anyone that crosses him. And watch out for his huge terrifying SCREECH and realistic dinosaur sound effects! To activate, slide the switch located on the tail for grabbing action and lights and sounds; push the button for chomping action and lights and sounds; and move the tail around for thrashing action! Act out ferocious battle scenes with Grab ‘n Growl Indoraptor and relive all the exciting adventure and terror of the movie!
Get ready for thrilling action and adventure with Jurassic World! Roarivores dinosaur action figures are inspired by the movie and feature push button sound activation and signature attack moves iconic to their respective species. Play out movie action scenes with signature attack moves like chomping, biting and head butting. Figures also include articulated arms and legs, realistic sculpting and authentic decoration. Choose from Triceratops, Baryonyx, Metriacanthosaurus, Allosaurus, and more!
(Note, subject to availablity – MSRP is $14.99 but third party retailers may charge more)
Get ready for thrilling action and adventure with Jurassic World! These Battle Damage dinosaur action figures have a spring-loaded damage panel feature that snaps back on impact to reveal the battle wound! Kids will love battling it out again and again to see the results. Just reset the Battle Damage action figure to play out favorite action battles from the movie again and again! Choose from Battle Damage Stiggy, Battle Damage Velociraptor Blue, Battle Damage Pachycephalosaurus, Battle Damage Herrerasaurus, Battle Damage Gallimimus and more!
(Note, subject to availability – Basic dino MSRP is $9.99 but third party retailers may charge more)
The Jurassic World Legacy Collection roars into action celebrating classic moments, themes and characters from the blockbuster film franchise! These dinosaur action figures feature articulated arms and legs, realistic sculpting and authentic decoration. Each dinosaur also has an action feature unique to its character and species like chomping, jumping, flapping or spitting! Choose from ramming Pachycephalosaurus, spitting Dilophosaurus, flapping Pteranodon, leaping Velociraptor and biting young Tyrannosaurus Rex action figures.
(Note, subject to availability – Basic dino MSRP is $9.99 but third party retailers may charge more)
Get ready for thrilling action and adventure with Jurassic World! These Attack Pack dinosaurs are inspired by the movie and are known to herd, hunt and attack in packs. Each Attack Pack dinosaur figure includes five points of articulation, realistic sculpting and authentic decoration. Choose from Velociraptor Blue, Green Velociraptor, Dilophosaurus, Gallimimus and Dimorphodon. Each sold separately, subject to availability. Colors and decorations may vary. Are you the ultimate dinosaur expert? Download the Jurassic World Facts app to bring your Mattel Jurassic World dinosaur figures to life and learn fun facts!
(Note, subject to availability – Basic dino MSRP is $7.99 but third party retailers may charge more)
Get ready for thrilling action and adventure with Jurassic World! These Action Attack dinosaur figures capture the ultimate movie action with their unique action-attack features! Add realistic sculpting and authentic decoration, and these Action Attack dinosaurs come to life ready for dinosaur action! Choose from Action Attack Carnotaurus (press button to make the head strike forward and jaws chomp) and Action Attack Stegosaurus (press a spine plate to trigger the tail swipe).
(Note, subject to availability – Basic dino MSRP is $19.99 but third party retailers may charge more)
Get ready for thrilling action and adventure with Jurassic World! These action figures are inspired by characters in the film and feature realistic sculpts at 3 ¾” action scale. Each comes with an accessory or dinosaur action figure so kids play out their favorite Jurassic World moments. Choose from Owen and Baby Blue or the Mercenary and Dimorphodon. Relive all the action and adventure of the movie with these action figures!
(Note, subject to availability – Basic figure MSRP is $7.99 but third party retailers may charge more)
Get ready for thrilling action and adventure with Jurassic World! fan favorite character, Velociraptor Blue is ferociously cute and comes in a kid-sized Ginormous scale that is approximately 3 feet tall and over 4 feet long from nose to tail! this Ginormous Velociraptor Blue figure is made of soft plush material and features realistic eye detail, sculpted claws on her arms and feet and a big Blue streak on her body, of course! kids will love hugging and cuddling with this kid-sized Ginormous fan favorite plush figure!
Take control of operations on the legendary islands of the Muertes archipelago and experience the majesty and danger of awe-inspiring dinosaurs. Every choice you make between Entertainment, Science and Security Divisions influences your journey through an unfolding narrative and decades of Jurassic lore.
The Knitted Christmas Sweater Preorder is officially licensed Jurassic Park merchandise. You can be confident that it will be of the highest quality and give you that warm, fuzzy feeling that only comes from supporting the creators.
Prepare to return to Isla Nublar, before the Indominus Rex broke free throwing the park into chaos, and before Mount Sibo erupted, forcing the dinosaurs to face extinction once again. Universal Brand Development in conjunction with The LEGO Group have announced ‘LEGO Jurassic World: The Secret Exhibit’ an all new animated 2-part special which serves as a prequel to the 2015 film!
Have you ever wondered how Claire Dearing met Owen Grady, where the Carnotaurus came from, wanted to know more about the eccentric park owner Simon Masrani, and been eager to know just what else InGen had cooked up in those labs?
Check out the trailer below, and read on for all the exciting details!
NBC has partnered with Universal Brand Development and The LEGO Group for the upcoming debut of a two-part animated special:“LEGO®Jurassic World:The Secret Exhibit.” The all-new animated special–inspired by the blockbuster Jurassic World franchise –will air on Nov.29 at 8p.m. ET/PT on NBC.The story takes place before the adventures of Jurassic World in 2015.
With the grand opening of Jurassic World’s new super-secret dinosaur exhibit just days away, only one thing is missing – the dinosaurs! In order to get the job done, Simon Masrani enlists his newly-hired assistant, Claire Dearing, to ensure the new attraction opens on time…or else. Unfortunately, Owen Grady, the animal behaviorist Claire hired to deliver the dinosaurs, is late. Things aren’t looking too good for Claire…or for Owen, who just wants to deliver the dinosaurs, collect his paycheck and get off the island.
But the mission to deliver the dinosaurs turns out to be far more difficult than anyone could have imagined. From a runaway Gyrosphere, hang gliding with a Pteranodon (how did they get out of the Aviary?!), to a high-speed game of chicken with a T-Rex, Owen will earn his paycheck and then some. And Claire may just get promoted to Assistant Manager of Park Operations. Along the way, we get the first inklings of why Owen and Claire drive each other crazy, but despite their differences, they succeed and make a great team. Oh, and Owen meets Blue for the first time as he discovers he has a way with dinosaurs he never knew about!
The two-part special will be available to stream the morning after the NBC broadcast, Nov. 30, across multiple platforms, including the NBC app and NBC.com, where it can be viewed without a login, as well as on Hulu and On Demand. It will also be available for download from major digital retailers.
The DVD, with exclusive bonus content, drops Jan. 15, 2019.
While this animated special may twist some of the canonical accuracies for stylistic hi-jinks and fun, it’s great to hear mention of Isla Sorna, and have an explanation for new species spotted in Fallen Kingdom such as the Carnotaurus and Stygimoloch. Intriguingly, many of the key dinosaurs and characters seen in this special have accompanying LEGO sets – save for the Baryonyx. With rumors abroad of new sets hitting in 2019, it seems quite possible that species will make its brick debut soon!
The cute 2-part journey is sure to provide fun for all ages, all while offering adventure building laughs and thrills. For those in the UK, it will air on iTV the 6th of December.
Be sure to stay tuned over the course of this month, where we will debut exciting ways you can celebrate the release of this new animated LEGO Jurassic Park story, including product giveaways. As always, sound off in the comments below and let us know what you’re most excited to see in ‘The Secret Exhibit’, and what other types of expanded universe content you would like to see in the future!
If a picture is worth a thousand words, then this article will one of our most dense to date. Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom has released on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital and with that has come a new wave of artwork from making the film. While the retail releases of the movie were quite light on making of content, and didn’t include any deleted scenes, the artwork from various artist who worked on the film have revealed quite a few alternative sequences that didn’t make the final cut.
Take a look at the concept art from the latest Jurassic Park sequel below – whether or not it’s from a cut scene, or art you’ll see reflected in the movie, it’s all sure to please.
The artwork from Christopher Brändström focuses on early passes of the Indoraptor, where the initial plan was to show off a few experiments gone wrong in the development process of the new breed of dinosaurs. Further, it showcases an alternate opening of Fallen Kingdom, serving to introduce the Mosasaurus in the open ocean attacking a whaling vessel.
Jama’s artwork served as the basis for many keyframes, final approved dinosaur designs, and more. Some of the most striking pieces of art reveal that there were originally meant to be two Indoraptors who would eventually fight, leaving the one we know from the film victorious. Also notable is his early 3D model of the Allosaurus which looks more like the real animal, and the fact the Sinoceratops was to be called Pachyrhinosaurus with no design differences.
Further, his art explored an alternate more intense version of the stampede and raging wildfires, which was later replaced with a more lighthearted adventure action sequence. Finally, two pieces of art also showcase the Spinosaurus, which would have been killed by the T. rex instead of the Carnotaurus.
As time goes on, more artwork will surely be released for Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom. While there are currently no plans for an artbook, and thus no commentary for how the art led to the final designs and story, these images can still be both insightful and captivating as making of content.
Sound off and let us know what your favorite piece is, and if you would eventually like to see art books for various Jurassic Park films!
Where has time gone? The Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom DVD/Blu-Ray is officially out in stores! On September 6th, Bryce Dallas Howard spent a day in NYC filming interviews and promoting the release. Now those interviews are popping up and, along with this, comes some speculation and light (very light) news on Jurassic World 3.
Bryce has mentioned in multiple interviews recently that she is especially eager to see the original cast return. Her answers have bounced between Laura Dern (specifically) and just all the original characters in general.
She also spoke with Collider about Jurassic World 3.
What have you heard about the final film in this trilogy?
HOWARD: I’ve talked to a lot of different folks who are involved. Colin [Trevorrow] is writing it now with Emily [Carmichael], and she just brings such an incredible perspective and voice. They have been quite close for awhile, and Colin’s been a huge supporter of her work, and vice versa. The fact that they’re working on it now is exciting and inspiring. I saw them last week, and it’s good. It’s really, really good.
Especially with the way that Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom ended, do you have any personal hopes, for what could happen, now that it feels even more wide open?
HOWARD: I think we’re gonna be seeing these characters be faced with impossible choices to make, and circumstances beyond their wildest dreams and nightmares, where these animals are now a part of the world again. It’s not just about a handful of dinosaurs that were able to be re-animated, and one hybrid dinosaur that is monstrous. Now, not only are the animals out there, but the technology is out there, as well. Who knows what people can create? I’m just really excited to see this imagined world changing.
It seems Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom just released in theaters a couple weeks ago, but Universal have revealed that the home video release will roar into households in a little over 1-month!
Releasing on digital September 4th, and physical disc September 18th, Fallen Kingdom will be the must own movie closing out Summer. One of the most exciting parts of the home release of any Jurassic film (other than being able to watch it whenever you want) is of course the plethora of new special features, revealing the behind the scenes fun and magic which brought the latest dinosaur film to life.
Check out the special features listed below, and then take a look at the options available to pre-order now. (Note: the special edition available only at Target has an additional 30 minutes of special features, not listed below).
Special features on ALL formats (4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, Digital, and DVD):
On Set with Chris & Bryce – Go behind the scenes with Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard.
Birth of the Indoraptor – An inside look at the genetically designed monstrosity known as the Indoraptor.
Death by Dino – Go behind the scenes as the Indoraptor faces off with a key character.
Monster in a Mansion – Director J.A. Bayona discusses how Jurassic Park and Dracula (1979) influenced his approach to directing the monster in a mansion scene.
Rooftop Showdown – A look at the terrifying showdown on the rooftop of the Lockwood Mansion.
Malcolm’s Return – Behind the scenes with the one & only Jeff Goldblum.
VFX Evolved – The team at ILM discuss their cutting-edge approach to creating dinosaurs.
FALLEN KINGDOM: The Conversation – Filmmakers and cast sit down for a candid and casual conversation about Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.
A Song for the KINGDOM – Justice Smith sings for the cast and crew of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.
Chris Pratt’s Jurassic Journals
Vivian Baker, Makeup Artist
Mary Mastro, Hair Stylist
Chris Murphy, 1st Assistant Sound
Dean Bailey, Stunt Edge Car Driver
Peter Harcourt, Diver
Daniella Pineda and Justice Smith, Actors
Jody Wiltshire, Set PA
Kelly Krieg, Assistant Script Supervisor
J.A. Bayona, Director
James Cox, Stunt Performer
Rachelle Beinart, Stunt Double
Bryce Dallas Howard interviews Chris Pratt, Actor
· JURASSIC Then and Now – Presented by Barbasol® – Key moments from the Jurassic saga that tie into Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.
Special Features exclusively available on HD formats (4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, and Digital):
The KINGDOM Evolves – Filmmakers discuss how the second chapter in the Jurassic World trilogy pushes the franchise in a new direction.
Return to Hawaii – Cast and crew discuss shooting the film in Hawaii.
Island Action – A behind-the-scenes look at the bunker scene and runaway gyrosphere sequence.
Aboard the Arcadia – Cast and crew discuss working with the animatronic dinosaurs.
Start the Bidding! – A behind-the-scenes look at the auction scene.
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (Target Exclusive)
Exclusive 28 Page Gallery Book + 30 Mins of Exclusive Bonus Content with purchase
Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom is also available on other digital platforms – see the list here.
Sadly, the special features do not include deleted scenes, commentaries, or other behind the scenes content that offers a deeper look into the filmmaking magic. It’s a bit saddening knowing the Jurassic Journals, content made for the web and already released online, are taking up disc space that could have been dedicated to new content, and a bit worrying after the slightly lackluster Jurassic World special features which felt more like extended YouTube featurettes.
However, there is plenty of new content to be excited for (particularly the Target special features, which are still unknown) and I cannot wait to go hands on with the home release. With that in mind, I would happily purchase a later release that goes deeper into the special features the way films and franchises such as The Lord of the Rings, Avatar, Peter Jackson’s King Kong, Harry Potter, and Star Wars are known for. Jurassic, while on the same level as those franchises, has greatly lacked in the quality content akin to their home entertainment offerings.
Time will tell how deep the Blu-ray features dig in, but I’m sure no matter what they’ll be a wild, dinosaur infested ride.
What version of Fallen Kingdom will you be picking up? Sound off in the comments below, and as always, stay tuned for the latest news!
At long last, ‘Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom’ will roar into US theaters and most other remaining major territories. After making its overseas debut over two weeks ago, fans have been eager to avoid spoilers and see the film firsthand, finally joining the conversation with those across the pond. To commemorate and promote the release, the cast and filmmakers have been continuing their rounds doing interviews with various outlets to talk about the film.
Speaking to Collider, Fallen Kingdom director JA Bayona shared some interesting information about the latest Jurassic Park sequel – most tantalizing was that it almost included a much requested fan favorite dinosaur. Collider’s Steve Weintraub prompted the question by bringing up the Mattel toys and how they featured dinosaurs not from the film, asking if any were almost included, in which Bayona responded with the following:
“Uhh – there was a scene with like a couple of Dilophosaurus, and we – we cut that scene. So we cut the Dilophosaurus from the movie in the end.”
Intriguingly, a scene with Dilophosaurus was not part of the shooting script, nor were any sequences shot during principal photography as far as I know. I’m uncertain if the scene in question was cut before filming even began, or if it was a late addition much like another sequence in the film featuring two dinosaurs fighting in the middle of the film. I would typically default to saying hopefully the release of the Blu-ray will answer these questions, but the interview with Collider goes on to say it is very unlikely.
When asked how long the first cut of the film was, JA responded that it landed around 2 hours and 45 minutes, corroborating what Daniella Pineda recently revealed in an interview. Some of this footage can be glimpsed in trailers and featurettes, though JA Bayona says that nothing very meaningful was cut – perhaps implying it was simply establishing shots, scene extensions, or inserts, and not major sequences nor character moments. The film itself certainly doesn’t need more action, in fact I believe it could do with a little less, and those cut scenes could have provided some much needed characterization and breathing room.
Whatever the cut scenes may have included, don’t expect the Blu-ray to reveal their secrets. Sadly JA Bayona confirmed that it was decided not to include them in the home entertainment release:
“We talked about it, and I think that because, with the – there was nothing really meaningful out of the film that we decided not to put deleted scenes in the Blu-ray.”
While the Blu-ray won’t include deleted scenes, I’m hopeful it dives deep into the making of the film, featuring long extended looks at the hard work that went into bringing this Jurassic World to life. The Blu-ray for 2015’s film felt lacking in deeper content, putting the focus on YouTube ready bite size features, rather than the material the fans want – but thankfully fans made their voices (and money) heard, and I’m optimistic this one will deliver where the last did not.
Circling back, while the Dilophosaurus may not have made the cut for Jurassic World 2, I feel confident we’ll finally see this beautiful but deadly dinosaur return in Jurassic World 3. It just has to, doesn’t it?
Sound off and let us know if you wish the Dilo was in Fallen Kingdom, and what you hope to see on the Blu-ray release this fall – and as always, stay tuned for everything Jurassic.
Be sure to give the full interview a watch at Collider
With 2018 marking the 25th anniversary of Jurassic Park, Universal Pictures are ensuring fans don’t go without this year! It was recently revealed that all four Jurassic Park movies would be receiving the 4K treatment, with the release of a new Blu-Ray collection this May.
An exciting announcement none the less, but many were left wondering how exactly the film will be transferred to 4K – for lack of a better word. There were a few concerns that the films would be upscaled from the HD prints/versions, meaning they would not be true 4K.
Luckily for us however, it sounds like the Jurassic Park 4K release will be true 4K, having been scanned from the original camera negatives!
Universal Pictures confirmed this with us, detailing the process:
4K Restoration conducted by Universal Pictures with restoration services provided by NBCUniversal StudioPost
ARRI scan at 4K resolution from the original camera negative
4K workflow with High Dynamic Range color correction
This is great news for fans and movie buffs alike – never before will Jurassic Park have been watched at this quality, but better yet, the transfer will likely be closest to the original colour that was played in theatres back in 1993, closer than any release we’ve had before!
It’s important to note that due to way film-making and the technology behind it evolves, not every movie in this franchise will be archived by the studio in the same format, meaning the transfer for each movie could differ.
But one thing is for certain: this release will allow you to watch the Jurassic Park franchise like never before!
Unfortunately there doesn’t appear to be any new bonus features attached to this release. The press release states:
Available for the first time ever in 4K Ultra HD featuring newly remastered versions of the films, the collection also includes Blu-ray and Digital via the all-new MOVIES ANYWHERE app. This special anniversary collection features premium book-style packaging and is packed with hours of bonus content including deleted scenes, storyboards, revealing interviews and behind-the-scenes featurettes that make this a must own film for everyone’s library.
Jurassic Park 25th Anniversary Collection will be available on 4K Ultra HD in a combo pack which includes 4K Ultra HD Blu-rayTM, Blu-rayTM and Digital. The 4K Ultra HD disc will include the same bonus features as the Blu-rayTM version, all in stunning 4K resolution.
And in regards to bonus features:
BONUS FEATURES INCLUDE:
• Return to Jurassic Park: 6-Part Documentary – This six-part documentary features interviews with the many of the cast members from all three films, the filmmakers and Steven Spielberg.
• Welcome to Jurassic World – An in-depth take on the creation, look and feel of Jurassic World. Director Colin Trevorrow and Steven Spielberg discuss how the idea of the film came together and how the casting was decided with actors’ commentary on their roles and filming locations.
• Dinosaurs Roam Once Again – Behind the scenes look at the making of Jurassic World’s visual effects, how the dinosaurs came to life, and actors filmed scenes.
• Jurassic World: All-Access Pass – Chris Pratt and Director Colin Trevorrow discuss key moments in the film, supported by behind-the-scenes footage and VFX breakdowns.
• Deleted Scenes
• And Over Forty Additional Bonus Featurettes from All Four Films!
The Jurassic Park 25th Anniversary Collection releases May 22nd and will retail at $79.98 (although it is currently $49.96 on Amazon!). This will be an 8-disc collection with each 4K film on their own disc, and the bonus features on another.
How excited are you to see Jurassic Park like never before? Let us know in the comments section below, and be sure to stay tuned to Jurassic Outpost for more!
Hold on to your butts, and get ready to see Jurassic Park like never before.
Revealed on Amazon, all four Jurassic Park films (yes, that means Jurassic World) will be released in 4K on May 22nd, 2018 in celebration of the first Jurassic’s 25th Anniversary. For the first time ever, the Jurassic franchise has been remastered in 4K (also known as Ultra-HD), featuring a far higher resolution and ‘High Dynamic Range (HDR) for Brighter, Deeper, More Lifelike Color’.
Available to pre-order now the ‘Jurassic Park 25th Anniversary Collection’ ($79.98) set features a total of 8-discs, with each 4k film on their own discs, and the special features on another. As they have likely gone back to the source material for these remasters, the transfers will likely be entirely new, and have a different more authentic look akin to the theatrical run of each film. Since running the article, the Amazon listing has been updated with pictures – the cover is very nice, and would be near perfect if it weren’t for that incredibly ugly looking logo (also, the head being replaced with the Jurassic World rex doesn’t look right).
There’s a small chance these sets will also include some collectible material – recently a 4-film Blu-Ray set (not 4K) for the 25th Anniversary went on sale on Amazon UK (pictured above), and includes concept art from the upcoming sequel, Fallen Kingdom. Much like the 4K set, it will be released this May. However, since the listing has updated with imagery, it seems unlikely this set also includes the concept art – but time will tell!
Are you excited for the 4K release of Jurassic Park – and will you buy a 4K TV just for these films if you don’t have one already? I know I’m considering it. Sound off in the comments below!
As always, stay tuned – as soon as images of the 4K transfers become available, we will be sure to run another article. Thanks to Jeremy Conrad for the heads up!