This morning Universal Orlando opened their Jurassic Park 30th Anniversary Tribute Store to excited guests at their resort! Located in the Hollywood section of the park, the store acts as a sort of museum dedicated to the production, release, and impact of one of the most influential films in all of film history. Featuring several rooms crammed with rare production archives and props, exclusive merchandise, and unique foods, it is going to be a must stop-shop for the summer months at the resort for guests.
The latest tribute store is the newest Jurassic offering of the Orlando destination. In the last few years there has been the opening of Jurassic World VelociCoaster (which was awarded Best Roller Coaster two years in a row,) a Jurassic World Tribute Store (which ran the summer months of 2021 in the previous Tribute Store location in the New York section of the park,) and the Great Movie Escape which features a Jurassic World themed escape room experience.
While most of the additions to the park have been centered around the Jurassic World brand, the new tribute store transports us back to the 90’s and centers entirely around the film that started it all- Jurassic Park. Acting as a sort of museum that harkens back to the vibes of the “Dinosaurs of Jurassic Park” traveling exhibit, the store is divided into several different rooms that takes guests on a journey through the production of the film all the way through to its release and impact.
Before entering the store, the guests come face to face with the infamous sick Triceratops lying on its side, which is absolutely breathtaking (and I fully admit to tearing up upon seeing it up close.) Just before entering the store you’re surrounded by scaffolding, stage lights, and banners sporting the Jurassic Park logo and the classic sunset imagery. Many noted last week, when signage started going up, that the signage sported a “Making of Jurassic Park,” rather than just Jurassic Park. This tribute store being more of a shine to the overall production of the filmsets it in contrast to the 2021 JW Tribute Store which had more of an “in-universe” feel, and I’m sure it also offered a bit of a creative change for all of the incredibly talented Team Members of Art and Design, fabrication, carpentry, and painters who are involved on the project.
The first room has a focus on the “Pre-Production” (and a bit of “Post-Prod”) of Jurassic Park. It is filled to the brim with concept art of the dinosaurs and characters, film props, maquettes, and footage. It also has sections where they showcase and explain how Go-Motion was going to be the way they brought the dinosaurs to life in the film and how, as we all know now, it was abandoned in favor of computer-generated dinosaurs which revolutionized the film industry forever.
Moving on to the second room, we are now in the “Production” stage of the film. There are several photo-ops where guests can stop and put themselves into key moments of the film. Guests can either get down and hide behind kitchen counters from a stalking Velociraptor, try to appease an agitated Dilophosaurus, or quake in terror while sitting on a toilet in the middle of a rainstorm beneath Rexy herself. There are also lots of production documents and images as well for guests to gaze at and read as they make their way through, including a part that discusses Hurricane Iniki. Just before heading into the next room, guests can come face to face with another Velociraptor in the shed while they can attempt to return power to the island!
Rounding a corner, the guests are able to pass through the legendary Jurassic Park main gates and snag some unique and delicious treats before heading into the final room which illuminates the legacy and impact of the film upon its release. This, personally, had to be one of my favorite rooms in the whole store as it was just like walking into a sanctuary of classic Jurassic Park memorabilia. In display cabinets sits many different Kenner Jurassic toys, posters, magazines, buttons, bookbags, and loads more of vintage Jurassic Park merchandise. For fans of this franchise, whether you were able to experience the Jurassic craze in the 90’s or only wished you were able to, you can relive it here. If the first three-quarters of the store were the “Making of Jurassic Park” documentary come to life, this room perfectly embodies the “Dinosaur Dream Team” Marketing Video, tying the whole experience together.
The Jurassic Park 30th Anniversary Tribute Store proves to be an amazingly well executed, and immersive experience that is filled with fun easter eggs and beautiful set pieces sure to awe everyone who steps through the entrance. As soon as you enter it’s impossible not to feel the love put into this experience by everyone involved, and for fans it will be even harder not to be overwhelmed by it. The exclusive merchandise and collectables lining the walls harkens back to the feeling of shopping in the 90’s and seeing endless shelves and racks dedicated to Jurassic, and a lot of the new offerings are sure to be “must haves” for many. Some of the merch can be found throughout the entire resort at different stores (like Jurassic Outfitters and the Dino Store in the Jurassic Park section at Islands of Adventure,) the store sports of a wider variety of the 30th Anniversary merch as well as the special snacks.
The limited time JP30 Tribute Store is now open at Universal Orlando, during park hours. While there is no word on exactly how long the store will be there, in the past the “summer” tribute store typically runs until the first few weeks of August, at which time it will be closed and construction on the Halloween Horror Nights tribute store will begin. The store is just one of the few ways the Orlando resort is celebrating the 30th anniversary of the film. Guests can also get exclusive food, treats, and drinks at the Thunder Falls Terrace Restaurant at Islands of Adventure (again, no official word on how long the offerings will last,) and June 9th, 10th, and 11th the Cinemark at City Walk will have screenings of Jurassic Park (tickets are not up yet, but keep checking Cinemark/Fandango,) along with possibly some other potential surprises along the way!
If you’re hoping for a fun Jurassic themed getaway this Summer, then you may be in luck! Just announced in the May episode of Beyond the Gates, Mattel is hosting a new sweepstakes that could send you and three others on a theme park vacation to either Universal Studios Hollywood or Universal Orlando Resort!
There are a number of other prizes to be won alongside this trip, so be sure to check out the details below!
With so much to see and do at either park there really isn’t a better way to celebrate Jurassic Park’s 30th Anniversary! So what are you waiting for? Visit the sweepstakes website for your chance to win!
The 30th Anniversary celebrations continue with a third video in the series ‘The DNA of Jurassic Park – Employee Orientation’.
The first video gave us a look deeper inside the hatchery and secret genetics lab of the original park on Isla Nublar, the second video provided a tour of the Jurassic Park Tour Vehicle with instructions on safety. The third video, released today, shows us the Veterinary Support provided to the Triceratops at Jurassic Park. Check it out below:
Cool! Be sure to show the video some love!
You can read more about the JP30 celebrations in the announcement.
Do you like this “lost” video series from the archives of InGen? Share your thoughts down below, and let us know how you’re celebrating the 30th!
The 30th Anniversary celebrations for Jurassic Park were announced last week alongside a new video that kicked off a series of videos for Jurassic Park’s new employees.
The first video gave us a look deeper inside the hatchery and secret genetics lab of the original park on Isla Nublar, this week we are given a tour of the Jurassic Park Tour Vehicle with instructions on safety. Check it out below:
The vehicle featured is Brandon Constant’s Ford Explorer, he really spared no expense with this replica! Be sure to give him a follow on his social mediapages – and check out our friends at the Motor Pool for more vehicle replicas.
You can read more about the JP30 celebrations in last week’s announcement.
Do you like this “lost” video series from the archives of InGen? Share your thoughts down below, and let us know how you’re celebrating the 30th!
Universal Products and Experiences have announced an array of new products and activations for the 30th anniversary of Jurassic Park, which occurs this ‘Jurassic June’. These reveals started today with a new in-universe video, which is part of a ongoing series, plus numerous announcements below… such as the fact that Jurassic Park will return to theaters, and Limited Run Games will be releasing ‘The Jurassic Park 30th Anniversary Retro Collection’ which includes the classic SNES games.
Watch the InGen video and read the full array of announcements below!
Celebrate 30 Years of Those Iconic Gates with All-NewJurassic Park Content, Merchandise and Events for Fans65 Million Years in the Making
From new broadcast and digital content, to exclusive products, events, home entertainment releases and much more, fans can celebrate the awe-inspiring film during #JurassicJune and beyond
Universal City, Calif., April 25, 2023 – Universal and Amblin Entertainment are re-opening the park gates for fans, old and new, to honor 30 years of the groundbreaking, blockbuster adventure Jurassic Park. Life finds a way this #JurassicJune and beyond with new broadcast, digital and game content, as well as exclusive merchandise across a variety of categories, a re-release of the film, retail promotions, anniversary celebration events, fan conventions and more. To kick-off the nostalgia-filled anniversary, check out this lost training video from “Jurassic Park” featuring fan favorite, Mr. DNA; a few more episodes in this fun digital series will be available on the Jurassic World YouTube channel later this month.
“The legacy of Jurassic Park is felt across the world,” said Melissa Rodriguez, vice president of franchise strategy for Universal Products & Experiences. “The film has stayed entrenched in the hearts and minds of viewers since its initial release 30 years ago, while also delighting new fans every year. We’re looking forward to celebrating the footprint this film has left on fans globally through special events, unique merchandise, games and more!”
New content for generations of fans to enjoy!
• Jurassic Park, Jurassic Park: The Lost World, Jurassic Park III, and Jurassic World will be available to stream on Peacock beginning June 1.
• Theatrical re-releases planned for later this year in markets around the world.
• Universal Pictures Home Entertainment will be releasing limited commemorative editions of the film on 4K starting in June (details forthcoming). Jurassic Park and all subsequent installments of the franchise are now available to own on Digital and Disc.
Exciting activations celebrating the classic film will be taking place all year long!
• Across Europe, fans have been asked to get involved with celebrating the 30th anniversary on social, including voting for their favorite original Jurassic Park dinosaur! The fan-favorite winning dinosaurs from each country will be brought to life in epic ways across multiple cities later this summer – be sure to follow #JurassicPark30 to discover more.
• The Natural History Museum of London is celebrating the anniversary with a special pop-up store that is open now through September 2023. In addition to new merchandise, the museum’s Cranborne Boutique has been redecorated and even includes the iconic gates from the film and the opportunity to take a selfie with a dinosaur.
• The Jurassic World By Brickman Exhibition moves to New Zealand in June, then Brisbane in December, and a second exhibition will be launching in Sweden in April.
• Also in Australia, a one-of-a-kind, Jurassic Park-inspired High Tea celebration will be taking place at Cordis Auckland through the end of April.
• Audiences of the Shanghai International Film Festival will be able to watch all six films – for the first time in China – taking place June 9-18.
• More details coming soon, but be on the lookout for Jurassic Park gates and dinosaurs coming to a fan convention near you – including some of the world’s biggest Cons, like Comic-Con International in San Diego:
ㅤㅤ◦ Comic-Con International in San Diego, July 19-23
ㅤㅤ◦ London Comic Con Winter, November 11-12
ㅤㅤ◦ Comic Con Experience (CCXP) in Brazil, November 30 – December 3
• Additional events taking place throughout the year include Jurassic World: The Exhibition on tour in Canada and Germany, the Jurassic World Live Tour by Feld at key U.S. markets, as well as Jurassic Park in concert with live orchestra (in select cities around the world, including Tokyo and Osaka, Japan), and more for other US and international regions!
Additionally, theme park celebrations, as well as exclusive film and new 90s-inspired nostalgia products will be hitting retail throughout the year, with highlights including:
• Universal Destinations & Experiences
ㅤㅤ◦ Universal Beijing Resort: Jurassic Traders will have new Jurassic Park 30th Anniversary product this summer.
ㅤㅤ◦ Universal Orlando Resort: #JurassicJune celebrations that include specialty food & beverage, exclusive merchandise along with a takeover at the Tribute Store.
ㅤㅤ◦ Universal Studios Hollywood: specialty food & beverage, as well as exclusive merchandise will be available during #JurassicJune.
• A Jurassic Park-inspired LEGO® line, marking the first time some of these dinosaurs and characters will be available in LEGO form; The Visitor’s Center (76961) is available NOW for pre-sale on Amazon.com.
• Mattel will also be debuting an all-new collector line with 15 different SKUs and two new plush that will have a nostalgic ‘1993’ feel.
ㅤㅤ◦ A new item revealed today is the 30th Anniversary Plush Dilophosaurus, with more coming timed to #JurassicJune.
• Jurassic Park x Tamagotchi Nano Dinosaur Egg version – you can raise baby dinosaurs in the palm of your hand! Your dinosaur may evolve into over 20 different dinosaurs, and you can see great scenes from Jurassic Park while you care for and play with your dinosaur.
• Jurassic Park CAPTIVZ Build N Battle 30th Anniversary eggs by ToyMonster – this exclusive range feature dinosaur species from the original Jurassic Park movie and rare dinosaurs to chase, including the gold and amber baby Velociraptor; available now.
• Funko will have an assortment of new POP! Figures celebrating fan favorite characters, dinosaurs and moments from the blockbuster film.
• Rubber Road’s popular TUBBZ ducks will thrill Jurassic Park fans with 3 new collectible SKUs for the 30th Anniversary: Raptor, Dilophosaurus and Muldoon.
• WOW! Stuff continues to innovate with their RealFX line –launching an adorable (but equally terrifying) new dinosaur species later this year; more to come!
• Paragon FX Group has released a limited-edition recreation of Dennis Nedry’s iconic Barbasol canister (aka “Cryo-Can”) ensuring fans can have their own little piece of the movie’s iconic history.
• Dr. Squatch, the fast-growing men’s natural soap and personal care company, has launched two Jurassic Park-inspired bar soaps: King of the Briccs and Raptor Rush.
• RSVLTS will continue to support JurassicPark with new anniversary-inspired prints on their popular polos and woven shirts, launching later this summer.
• Dumbgood is bringing back the iconic colorways and graphics from 1993 to their on-trend apparel and accessories; new items launching later this summer.
• TORRID will bring fun and flirty Jurassic Park-inspired fashions for all sizes; new collection launches planned for #JurassicJune.
• Chubbies will expand their awesome neon-inspired Jurassic Park line of men’s swimwear to include boys sizing this year.
• H&M will have a 90s nostalgia line of apparel showcasing the iconic Jurassic Park logo the started it all, along with fan-favorite on-screen moments, all in fun colorways.
• Primark will launch a collection of children’s apparel, home and lifestyle items for families, featuring iconography and favorite dinosaurs from the original Jurassic Park film, and a new first for Primark – interactive plush dinosaurs!
• Box Lunch has the coolest apparel, accessories and collectibles for Jurassic Park fans of all ages; new collections planned for #JurassicJune so stay tuned.
• Loungefly has revealed three new, colorful Jurassic Park accessories: a Dino Moon Mini Backpack, Dino Moon Zip Around Wallet and Life Finds a Way Cross Body Bag.
• Goodr – widely-known for its expansive range of athletic sunglasses designed with the four Fs in mind—Fun, Fashion, Function, and ‘Fordability; the brand is launching a new line of limited-edition Jurassic Park sunglasses in 3 styles (T-Rex in the Rearview, Isla Nublar Tour 1993, and Bingo! Dino DNA) beginning June 30.
• Crocs is expanding on its Jurassic World collection from last year, new 30th anniversary-inspired footwear is coming later this summer.
• Niko and… in Japan has launched a collaboration of zakka home and lifestyle items in stores available in stores and online now.
• Additional products will be available beginning in #JurassicJune through later in the year from partners such as: Iron Studios, Nobel Collections, Mondo, Toy Monster, Playmonster/Koosh, Hasbro, Funko, Rubber Road, Just Play, Wow Stuff, Jada, Spin Master, Random House, Scholastic, Insight Editions, Dynacraft, Advanced Graphics, Innovative Designs, Erin Condren, Bitty Boomers, KIDdesigns, General Mills, and more.
• More promotional exclusive items will be available in celebration of the 30th anniversary including Hormel pepperoni and Jurassic World dinosaur-themed crackers both available at Walmart.
• Smyths Toys will be celebrating the iconography of the 1993 classic film with in-store marketing and new SKUs, including an exclusive Jurassic Park vehicle + dinosaur trackset.
•Jurassic World: Revealed is back for an exclusive collector series celebrating fans at BIG W and The Warehouse NZ.
• Additional mall activations will launch across Southeast Asia during #JurassicJune.
Games and digital collectibles are getting into the action too!
• Jurassic World Alive, the free-to-play geo-location-based AR game developed by Ludia and Jam City, will feature new gameplay celebrating the most iconic moments of Jurassic Park as well as the original dinosaurs that fans adore. In addition, players can anticipate exciting partnership announcements and new brand integrations culminating in an eventful gameplay experience honoring the 30th anniversary of Jurassic Park.
• A collaboration with Limited Run Games to release The Jurassic Park 30th Anniversary Retro Collection is planned for later this year. The collection will include various versions of the classic and beloved Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park 2: The Chaos Continues games. Limited Run will also create exclusive, limited-edition Jurassic Park merchandise inspired by the titles that both gamers and Jurassic Park fans can get excited about. More news to come in the following months.
• Frontier Developments will be bringing Jurassic World Evolution 2 players even more mesmerizing dinosaurs for their parks with additional DLC packs and new content.
• This summer, VeVe will also be celebrating the Jurassic Park 30th anniversary by dropping unique digital collectibles on their marketplace. Featuring iconic items from the original movie, these digital collectibles capture moments in time that are a must-have for Jurassic Park fans.
Follow #JurassicPark30 on social for more details and upcoming celebrations.
Experience one of the biggest films in motion picture history with director Steven Spielberg’s ultimate thrill ride, Jurassic Park – celebrating 30 years in 2023! Featuring Academy Award®-winning visual effects and groundbreaking filmmaking, this epic film is sheer movie-making magic that was 65 million years in the making. Jurassic Park takes you to an amazing theme park on a remote island where dinosaurs once again roam the Earth, and five people must battle to survive among the prehistoric predators. Starring Sam Neill, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum and Richard Attenborough, discover the breath-taking adventure you will want to experience again and again.
About Universal Products & Experiences
Universal Products & Experiences (UP&E) globally drives the expansion and elevation of NBCUniversal’s iconic collection of brands, intellectual properties, characters, and stories based on the company’s extensive portfolio of properties created by Universal Pictures, Illumination, DreamWorks Animation and NBCUniversal Television and Streaming. The division executes this through innovative physical and digital products, engaging retail and product experiences across our expansive global theme park destinations (for both owned and 3rd party IP), location-based venues, e-commerce product platforms, and retailers around the world. Along with global brand strategy and creative, UP&E’s three lines of business include Consumer Products, Games and Digital Platforms, as well as Theme Parks Products & Retail. UP&E is a division of Universal Parks & Resorts, part of NBCUniversal, a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation. More information is available at universalproductsexperiences.com
While there is a lot here, most are general merchandise tie-ins without much bravado, and we do notice a lack of real fan-events, such as the Jurassic Park 25th anniversary celebration panel at Universal Studios Hollywood.
Let’s hope more announcements are soon to come!
How are you celebrating the 30th Anniversary? Let us know in the comments!
I'm blown away by this experience, going to a Jurassic has always been a dream of mine but to be invited to one is something that will stay with me for life. I just want to say thank you to the people who support me/my content, without you guys I wouldn't be here.
The following was an APRIL FOOLS article! But maybe Peacock SHOULD make a live-action ‘Jurassic’ show sometime, eh? It seemed like Universal already tested those waters with the wonderful internet short film ‘Battle At Big Rock’, right? Why not keep it going? Let’s roll that film again, shall we?
In a shocking special announcement, Peacock has revealed today that they have greenlit a brand-new live-action ‘Jurassic Park’ miniseries! The six-episode series event is already being filmed in Hawaii, New Orleans, New Mexico, and even parts of Cabo Blanco! It has a planned release date of June 2024!
Showrunner Rubecca Blartburt spoke exclusively to Jurassic Outpost with additional details:
“Peacock knew they wanted to do a show for ‘Jurassic Park’ for some time now, but they also wanted to make it as immediately trendy as possible. For many years now, ‘Jurassic’ fans around the world have gushed over the quilled Velociraptor from ‘Jurassic Park 3’. This reached an apex when the internet finally gave him a name that everyone unquestionably, universally, really just everywhere loved: Quilliam. This celebration of a classic raptor from the franchise now rivals Blue in popularity. In fact, I know Peacock originally wanted a spinoff centered on the famous ‘Jurassic World’ raptor. But after looking at charts that showed results from Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and private texts, they were shocked to instead discover that Quilliam was immensely more popular.”
We were surprised, to say the least, that our first live-action ‘Jurassic Park’ show would be centered on just one dinosaur like this. We pestered her for more. She told us some juicy details, but we were asked to keep it private. So of course, here is what she said:
“It’s called ‘The Quest For Quilliam’. And I know, you’d think with a title like that it would be a kids show. Very goofy, almost fantasy-like in nature, right? But no, we wanted to subvert everyone’s expectations. Disney did that with ‘Star Wars’ and look how well that turned out! We discovered that a lot of the popularity in the ‘Jurassic’ franchise right now comes from kids and families. But what about the adult audience? That’s why we are making this show very adult in nature instead. It will be filled with violence, gore, and my favorite: swearing.”
To say we were shocked would be an understatement. Rubecca Blartburt continues:
“The title of the show is just a façade to draw in the current younger ‘Jurassic’ audience and then scare the hell out of them! But the title itself isn’t really a lie. There is a ‘quest’ for Quilliam. He has escaped Isla Sorna by sneaking on a cruise ship that accidentally docked there, thinking it was Hawaii. Hilarious, since we are shooting portions of the show there in real life! Anyway, Quilliam ends up on the mainland as we follow his path of dominance around our world.”
We pressed her further about what kind of things would happen during Quilliam’s journey. Her response was surprising, to say the least:
“He sneaks upon hapless, unsuspecting people: couples in parks, farmers on ranches, people in movie theaters, and much more. Then, he rips them apart. But you root for him, because we show backstories of all the people before he kills them, and most of them REALLY deserve it. Bad teachers, cheating boyfriends, racist politicians: every bad thing you can think of gets represented. But, where’s the ‘quest’, right? Well, at the same time, we have this private investigator, Horath Brockenheimer, who is hot on Quilliam’s trail of death; going from state-to-state, country-to-country trying to one-up the dinosaur before the only people left in the world are the good ones.”
Unfortunately, despite our inquisitions, Rubecca Blartburt wouldn’t reveal the ending of the show. However, she did tease us some possibilities:
“Does the show end with Horath Brockenheimer killing Quilliam? Or does Quilliam get him first? Or does something else happen, like a bomb goes off killing them both, or they both get trapped together by some random third party? I can’t confirm. But I will say, we plan to film at least four different endings. Then, the week before our final episode, we will have a social media poll for which ending the audience wants the most. But will we choose the ending with the most votes, or the least votes? I won’t reveal.”
I guess we will find out the answers next July, only on Peacock!
To say we are excited for this new show would be an understatement. But how about you? Do you have the thirst to quench for the ‘Quest For Quilliam’? Let us know in the comments below, and as always, stay tuned to Jurassic Outpost for the latest!
Sauria is a tabletop board game about surviving and escaping a dinosaur theme park while competing with others to accomplish secret objectives. Giving that ‘Jurassic Park’ feel with a lot of variability with different dinosaurs and map layout every game – being able to inspect the park as one of 8 unique characters with abilities that will help you try your best to do what it takes to escape the park and the erupting volcano.
“Sauria takes the story we’re all familiar with from Jurassic Park and converts it into an exciting board game. Both the artwork and mechanics are dripping with theme, making the game thrilling and engaging until the very last second.” – Tabletopping
The premise of the game is that each player has a set of goals that they must secretly complete. Each goal that they complete earns them Victory Points, and the player with the most points AND escapes Isla Sauria wins! Throughout the game, different dinosaurs will reveal themselves and wreak havoc upon the players in different, fun and interactive ways. The game takes place over 16 rounds, which equates to 48 hours in game, but just as you think things couldn’t get any worse, a volcano erupts on the 24 hour mark!
Now, the creators behind Sauria are releasing their latest expansion, “The Claw of Sauria” which introduces a handful of new Dinosaur species, as well as some new hybrids such as “Saurionyx” (aka The Claw of Sauria)! This new expansion also adds a new co-op mode, and, characters. You do not want to miss this!
The first game was originally funded via the crowdsourcing platform called Kickstarter. The campaign was fully funded in 3 days and ended at $20,000. Millian Games’ goal was to create an “escape from a dinosaur island theme park” experience rather than another run of the mill park builder as it would help set them apart from most dinosaur tabletop games.
In the world of Sauria, a genetics company called Genitech purchased the island known as Isla Sauria. On the island, they began their genetics research in manufacturing life, specifically prehistoric life. Their goal is to create the ultimate tourist attraction, a Dinosaur Theme Park. Before opening for the public, Genitech brought in experts for their opinion on the park. During their inspection, the Dinosaurs broke loose and the volcano began to erupt. In a chaotic twist of events, they now have to escape the lava, call for a helicopter or repair the boat, and try not to get eaten alive by the most vicious predators on the planet.
Meanwhile, the new expansion, Claw of Sauria, focuses on the rebuilding of Isla Sauria after the devastation during the first game. Once again, those experts must return to inspect the park, but an unforeseen development took place… the creation of a Hybrid Dinosaur, the Saurionyx!. This hybrid is part T-rex, raptor, poison dart frog, Sauropelta, scorpion and more. This hybrid has unknown abilities that are only discovered after reaching zero health and returning even stronger, possibly even venomous!
If the filmmakers won’t revisit Isla Sorna, then the fans will!
The Lost World’s Legendary video game Trespasser has had a breath of new life with a new fan project, Trespasser VR. Originally a remake (Trespassing Petrolia) the developer recently turned his efforts towards virtual reality, and has now unveiled a soft “demo” of the game so far.
Trespasser VR runs on the Quest 2 headset and the developer states:
“…this is a very simplistic version for the Quest 2 and I’m intentionally sticking as close to the source material as I can, with little improvements and fixes where needed. The detail is low, the textures are low res, it’s basic, it’s supposed to be. A lot of people wanted a more traditional looking version for VR and a lot of people wanted a version they could play on the Quest 2. This is it. I will be building upon this version for the PCVR version, as there are optimisations done for this version that I had planned to do for the PCVR version, but would have been a huge amount of work.”
Despite the release in 1998 being panned by critics for being released in an unfinished state, the game holds a special place in many fan’s hearts and has a great community over at Trescom!
Fans of Trespasser should also check out Derrick’s work over at Jurassic Time, which explores the fascinating John Parker Hammond narration that guides you across the island, and reveals recordings omitted from the original game.
Derrick also recently interviewed the creator of the game, Seamus Blackley – this one’s not one to miss!
Jurassic Outpostis heading to San Diego Comic-Con 2022! We hope to see you there, but even if you’re enjoying the news and festivities from afar, we’ve got everything you need to know for everything Jurassicand dinosaur-related at this year’s con!
‘Jurassic World: The Ultimate Pop-Up’ Author Matthew Reinhardt with Insight Editions
7/21/2022 | 2:00 PM | Booth #2135
Join InsightEditions on Thursday to meet authors including AshleyEckstein, MatthewReinhart, JennFujikawa, and more. Insight Editions CEO Raoul Goff, VP of Licensing & Partnerships Vanessa Lopez, and VP & Editorial Director Vicki Jaeger will also be on hand and make themselves available to chat. There will also be sneak peeks of incredible new pop culture products from Matthew Reinhart’s new Insight Editions imprint Reinhart Pop-Up Studio!
Toys Find A Way: Behind the Scenes and Screams of Jurassic World Dinosaur Design
7/22/2022 | 11:00 AM-12:00 PM | Booth #3029
The MattelJurassicWorld Design Team will take fans behind the curtain of creating the toys based on dinosaurs from Jurassic World: Dominion. Designers Rafael Bencosme, Chandra Hicks, Greg Murphy, and Nikolai Dryuchin will be on hand for a Q&A, first-ever product reveals, trivia, and giveaways!
The Science of Jurassic World
7/22/2022 | 6:00-7:00 PM | Grand 12 & 13, Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
In the JurassicWorld movies, the dinosaurs get from the island park to our cities and wilderness. Scientists who are fans of the franchise explore the real-world science of bringing dinosaurs back to life and letting them loose. What do the films get right and wrong about these extinct creatures? What are the technical challenges and ethical considerations of re-creating and genetically tinkering with different species? What is the impact of introducing megafauna into different environments? Once dinos are loose, what rights do they have to survive? Does life really find a way? This team of scientists includes paleontologist Stuart Sumida (technical consultant, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Camp Cretaceous), herpetologist Earyn McGee (Find That Lizard), conservation biologist Sam Wynns, cell and developmental biologist Claire Meaders, paleontologist Gabriel Santos, and geneticist, ecologist, and sci-fi author J. Dianne Dotson (Questrison Saga). Moderated by James Floyd (podcast host, Star Wars-ologies; regular freelance contributor, Star Wars Insider magazine).
Production Design: The Jurassic Park Saga: A Design 65 Million Years in the Making
7/23/2022 | 4:30-5:30 PM | Room 29CD
It’s the end of a Jurassic era. From the world it takes place in (the sets), to the creatures, vehicles, props and so much more, the production design is what makes the words on the page come to life on screen. The process begins with the vision of the production designer and continues with hours of research, and months of collaboration with the director, cinematographer, and an army of art department and visual effects artists. The Art Directors Guild brings you some of the foremost designers who have worked on the six-film Jurassic Park saga to share their processes, techniques, and experiences. Panelists include Doug Meerdink (Jurassic World, Jurassic Park 3), Stefan Dechant (The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Jurassic Park), Ed Verreaux (Jurassic Park III, Jurassic World), John Bell (Jurassic Park), and Lauren Polizzi (The Lost World: Jurassic Park). Moderated by Michael Allen Glover (Station 11, The Alienist: Angel of Darkness).
MusicalAnatomy of a Superhero: Film & TV Composer PanelhostedbyJurassic World franchise composer Michael Giacchino
7/21/2022 | 11:00 AM-12:00 PM | Indigo Ballroom, Hilton San Diego Bayfront
Composers Ludwig Göransson (Black Panther: Wakanda Forever), Natalie Holt (Batgirl, Loki), Nami Melumad (Thor: Love and Thunder), Christophe Beck (Shazam! Fury of the Gods, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania), Amie Doherty (She-Hulk: Attorney at Law), and moderator Michael Giacchino (The Batman, Thor: Love and Thunder, Spiderman: No Way Home) discuss the challenges of creating the musical landscape of the superhero genre and explain the process through unreleased music and video clips from upcoming and recently released projects. Music has always played an important supporting character in films and TV. This is especially evident in the superhero genre, where the music clearly sets the tone that defines a character, an impending battle, or a triumphant moment. Introductions by Ray Costa (producer, Costa Communications).
DINOSAUR-RELATED OR NON-JURASSIC-RELATED:
7/21/2022 | 7:30-8:30 PM | Room 10
Dinotopia, the hugely popular, critically acclaimed series based on James Gurney’s bestselling books, is currently running on Crackle. While fans thought the show had gone extinct, a new series is in the works. Producer Jordan Kerner (Clifford the Big Red Dog, Smurfs) and Matt Loze (president of scripted entertainment & production at Halcyon Studios) offer sneak peeks and discuss the new adaptation of this beloved series. Moderated by Chris Woolsey (senior director of communications, Crackle Plus).