‘Jurassic World’ was released to theaters nearly a decade ago. Let that sink in for a moment. For many, the memories of seeing the film are already nostalgic. Despite this year, 2023, being the 30th anniversary of the original ‘Jurassic Park’, it is also a time to be reflective over the entire series. The fourth film in the story of ‘Jurassic Park’ came after 14 years of nothing between it and the previous film, ‘Jurassic Park 3’. During that huge gap, fans imagined endless ideas as to what the next adventure in their favorite series would be.
In 2013, it was finally announced that a new film was on the horizon. Rumors that it would feature a fully-realized theme park on Isla Nublar, known as ‘Jurassic World’, led to many questions running in everyone’s minds. It was quite a surprising direction for the story that most people didn’t see coming. When filming began in 2014, many fans flocked for the chance to personally take part in the experience. Cameras rolled in Hawaii first, but soon after that their lenses focused on several massive sets in New Orleans.
Derrick Davis of Jurassic Time recently had conversations with three fans who were lucky enough to have been extras, background cast members, in these New Orleans sets: Anthony Feliciano, Bo Monarch, and Brent Kappel. Their discussions were edited into a 4-part video series that dives into the memories of their incredible experiences on the impressive sets of ‘Jurassic World’. Not only do we get to hear their fun stories, but we also get to see some rare behind the scenes photos, video footage, and other cool imagery that helps bring us along on their thrilling ride.
Anthony and Bo first describe what it was like filming the famous Mosasaur Stadium sequence. We learn how little of the set there actually was, and the simple methods used to create a much larger effect on screen. They also catch a glimpse of the original ‘Jurassic Park’ Visitor Center’s eerie ruins. Despite seeing the set from afar, it was enough to give them immense excitement.
In the second segment, Anthony and Bo look back at their experiences inside the highly-detailed Hammond Creation Lab and Samsung Innovation Center sets. We get a fun recollection of what they thought their scenes were about while being filmed, as well as some props, like a map, that they were able to take home with them.
For the third segment, Brent details the stunning Main Street set that was built next to an abandoned Six Flags amusement park. He gives us detailed descriptions of many Main Street locations, including the mostly-unseen Jurassic Traders Gift Shop, and the shock of Katie McGrath (who played Zara) performing some of her insane stunts on set.
The final segment of the series features Brent describing what it was like portraying a scientist in the Hammond Creation Lab, then reveals several props that mysteriously left with him. He tells a funny story involving Chris Pratt, and one of the props he shows us features a dinosaur dietary chart.
These three fans, and surely many others, finally got to see their work in theaters in 2015 when the film premiered around the world. No matter what they thought of the final product, seeing themselves on the big screen was a huge thrill. While the rest of us may be envious of their experience, it is wonderful to have their recollections joined with the imagery to finally get a real sense of what these sets were like in-person. And, if only for a short time, we can also imagine we visited ‘Jurassic World’ just as they had.
Which set for ‘Jurassic World’ in New Orleans do you wish you could have visited the most? Were you also an extra in the film, and if so, what scenes were you in? Share your comments below, and as always, stay tuned to Jurassic Outpost for the latest!
Universal Products and Experiences have announced an array of new products and activations for the 30th anniversary of Jurassic Park, which occurs this ‘Jurassic June’. These reveals started today with a new in-universe video, which is part of a ongoing series, plus numerous announcements below… such as the fact that Jurassic Park will return to theaters, and Limited Run Games will be releasing ‘The Jurassic Park 30th Anniversary Retro Collection’ which includes the classic SNES games.
Watch the InGen video and read the full array of announcements below!
Celebrate 30 Years of Those Iconic Gates with All-NewJurassic Park Content, Merchandise and Events for Fans65 Million Years in the Making
From new broadcast and digital content, to exclusive products, events, home entertainment releases and much more, fans can celebrate the awe-inspiring film during #JurassicJune and beyond
Universal City, Calif., April 25, 2023 – Universal and Amblin Entertainment are re-opening the park gates for fans, old and new, to honor 30 years of the groundbreaking, blockbuster adventure Jurassic Park. Life finds a way this #JurassicJune and beyond with new broadcast, digital and game content, as well as exclusive merchandise across a variety of categories, a re-release of the film, retail promotions, anniversary celebration events, fan conventions and more. To kick-off the nostalgia-filled anniversary, check out this lost training video from “Jurassic Park” featuring fan favorite, Mr. DNA; a few more episodes in this fun digital series will be available on the Jurassic World YouTube channel later this month.
“The legacy of Jurassic Park is felt across the world,” said Melissa Rodriguez, vice president of franchise strategy for Universal Products & Experiences. “The film has stayed entrenched in the hearts and minds of viewers since its initial release 30 years ago, while also delighting new fans every year. We’re looking forward to celebrating the footprint this film has left on fans globally through special events, unique merchandise, games and more!”
New content for generations of fans to enjoy!
• Jurassic Park, Jurassic Park: The Lost World, Jurassic Park III, and Jurassic World will be available to stream on Peacock beginning June 1.
• Theatrical re-releases planned for later this year in markets around the world.
• Universal Pictures Home Entertainment will be releasing limited commemorative editions of the film on 4K starting in June (details forthcoming). Jurassic Park and all subsequent installments of the franchise are now available to own on Digital and Disc.
Exciting activations celebrating the classic film will be taking place all year long!
• Across Europe, fans have been asked to get involved with celebrating the 30th anniversary on social, including voting for their favorite original Jurassic Park dinosaur! The fan-favorite winning dinosaurs from each country will be brought to life in epic ways across multiple cities later this summer – be sure to follow #JurassicPark30 to discover more.
• The Natural History Museum of London is celebrating the anniversary with a special pop-up store that is open now through September 2023. In addition to new merchandise, the museum’s Cranborne Boutique has been redecorated and even includes the iconic gates from the film and the opportunity to take a selfie with a dinosaur.
• The Jurassic World By Brickman Exhibition moves to New Zealand in June, then Brisbane in December, and a second exhibition will be launching in Sweden in April.
• Also in Australia, a one-of-a-kind, Jurassic Park-inspired High Tea celebration will be taking place at Cordis Auckland through the end of April.
• Audiences of the Shanghai International Film Festival will be able to watch all six films – for the first time in China – taking place June 9-18.
• More details coming soon, but be on the lookout for Jurassic Park gates and dinosaurs coming to a fan convention near you – including some of the world’s biggest Cons, like Comic-Con International in San Diego:
ㅤㅤ◦ Comic-Con International in San Diego, July 19-23
ㅤㅤ◦ London Comic Con Winter, November 11-12
ㅤㅤ◦ Comic Con Experience (CCXP) in Brazil, November 30 – December 3
• Additional events taking place throughout the year include Jurassic World: The Exhibition on tour in Canada and Germany, the Jurassic World Live Tour by Feld at key U.S. markets, as well as Jurassic Park in concert with live orchestra (in select cities around the world, including Tokyo and Osaka, Japan), and more for other US and international regions!
Additionally, theme park celebrations, as well as exclusive film and new 90s-inspired nostalgia products will be hitting retail throughout the year, with highlights including:
• Universal Destinations & Experiences
ㅤㅤ◦ Universal Beijing Resort: Jurassic Traders will have new Jurassic Park 30th Anniversary product this summer.
ㅤㅤ◦ Universal Orlando Resort: #JurassicJune celebrations that include specialty food & beverage, exclusive merchandise along with a takeover at the Tribute Store.
ㅤㅤ◦ Universal Studios Hollywood: specialty food & beverage, as well as exclusive merchandise will be available during #JurassicJune.
• A Jurassic Park-inspired LEGO® line, marking the first time some of these dinosaurs and characters will be available in LEGO form; The Visitor’s Center (76961) is available NOW for pre-sale on Amazon.com.
• Mattel will also be debuting an all-new collector line with 15 different SKUs and two new plush that will have a nostalgic ‘1993’ feel.
ㅤㅤ◦ A new item revealed today is the 30th Anniversary Plush Dilophosaurus, with more coming timed to #JurassicJune.
• Jurassic Park x Tamagotchi Nano Dinosaur Egg version – you can raise baby dinosaurs in the palm of your hand! Your dinosaur may evolve into over 20 different dinosaurs, and you can see great scenes from Jurassic Park while you care for and play with your dinosaur.
• Jurassic Park CAPTIVZ Build N Battle 30th Anniversary eggs by ToyMonster – this exclusive range feature dinosaur species from the original Jurassic Park movie and rare dinosaurs to chase, including the gold and amber baby Velociraptor; available now.
• Funko will have an assortment of new POP! Figures celebrating fan favorite characters, dinosaurs and moments from the blockbuster film.
• Rubber Road’s popular TUBBZ ducks will thrill Jurassic Park fans with 3 new collectible SKUs for the 30th Anniversary: Raptor, Dilophosaurus and Muldoon.
• WOW! Stuff continues to innovate with their RealFX line –launching an adorable (but equally terrifying) new dinosaur species later this year; more to come!
• Paragon FX Group has released a limited-edition recreation of Dennis Nedry’s iconic Barbasol canister (aka “Cryo-Can”) ensuring fans can have their own little piece of the movie’s iconic history.
• Dr. Squatch, the fast-growing men’s natural soap and personal care company, has launched two Jurassic Park-inspired bar soaps: King of the Briccs and Raptor Rush.
• RSVLTS will continue to support JurassicPark with new anniversary-inspired prints on their popular polos and woven shirts, launching later this summer.
• Dumbgood is bringing back the iconic colorways and graphics from 1993 to their on-trend apparel and accessories; new items launching later this summer.
• TORRID will bring fun and flirty Jurassic Park-inspired fashions for all sizes; new collection launches planned for #JurassicJune.
• Chubbies will expand their awesome neon-inspired Jurassic Park line of men’s swimwear to include boys sizing this year.
• H&M will have a 90s nostalgia line of apparel showcasing the iconic Jurassic Park logo the started it all, along with fan-favorite on-screen moments, all in fun colorways.
• Primark will launch a collection of children’s apparel, home and lifestyle items for families, featuring iconography and favorite dinosaurs from the original Jurassic Park film, and a new first for Primark – interactive plush dinosaurs!
• Box Lunch has the coolest apparel, accessories and collectibles for Jurassic Park fans of all ages; new collections planned for #JurassicJune so stay tuned.
• Loungefly has revealed three new, colorful Jurassic Park accessories: a Dino Moon Mini Backpack, Dino Moon Zip Around Wallet and Life Finds a Way Cross Body Bag.
• Goodr – widely-known for its expansive range of athletic sunglasses designed with the four Fs in mind—Fun, Fashion, Function, and ‘Fordability; the brand is launching a new line of limited-edition Jurassic Park sunglasses in 3 styles (T-Rex in the Rearview, Isla Nublar Tour 1993, and Bingo! Dino DNA) beginning June 30.
• Crocs is expanding on its Jurassic World collection from last year, new 30th anniversary-inspired footwear is coming later this summer.
• Niko and… in Japan has launched a collaboration of zakka home and lifestyle items in stores available in stores and online now.
• Additional products will be available beginning in #JurassicJune through later in the year from partners such as: Iron Studios, Nobel Collections, Mondo, Toy Monster, Playmonster/Koosh, Hasbro, Funko, Rubber Road, Just Play, Wow Stuff, Jada, Spin Master, Random House, Scholastic, Insight Editions, Dynacraft, Advanced Graphics, Innovative Designs, Erin Condren, Bitty Boomers, KIDdesigns, General Mills, and more.
• More promotional exclusive items will be available in celebration of the 30th anniversary including Hormel pepperoni and Jurassic World dinosaur-themed crackers both available at Walmart.
• Smyths Toys will be celebrating the iconography of the 1993 classic film with in-store marketing and new SKUs, including an exclusive Jurassic Park vehicle + dinosaur trackset.
•Jurassic World: Revealed is back for an exclusive collector series celebrating fans at BIG W and The Warehouse NZ.
• Additional mall activations will launch across Southeast Asia during #JurassicJune.
Games and digital collectibles are getting into the action too!
• Jurassic World Alive, the free-to-play geo-location-based AR game developed by Ludia and Jam City, will feature new gameplay celebrating the most iconic moments of Jurassic Park as well as the original dinosaurs that fans adore. In addition, players can anticipate exciting partnership announcements and new brand integrations culminating in an eventful gameplay experience honoring the 30th anniversary of Jurassic Park.
• A collaboration with Limited Run Games to release The Jurassic Park 30th Anniversary Retro Collection is planned for later this year. The collection will include various versions of the classic and beloved Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park 2: The Chaos Continues games. Limited Run will also create exclusive, limited-edition Jurassic Park merchandise inspired by the titles that both gamers and Jurassic Park fans can get excited about. More news to come in the following months.
• Frontier Developments will be bringing Jurassic World Evolution 2 players even more mesmerizing dinosaurs for their parks with additional DLC packs and new content.
• This summer, VeVe will also be celebrating the Jurassic Park 30th anniversary by dropping unique digital collectibles on their marketplace. Featuring iconic items from the original movie, these digital collectibles capture moments in time that are a must-have for Jurassic Park fans.
Follow #JurassicPark30 on social for more details and upcoming celebrations.
Experience one of the biggest films in motion picture history with director Steven Spielberg’s ultimate thrill ride, Jurassic Park – celebrating 30 years in 2023! Featuring Academy Award®-winning visual effects and groundbreaking filmmaking, this epic film is sheer movie-making magic that was 65 million years in the making. Jurassic Park takes you to an amazing theme park on a remote island where dinosaurs once again roam the Earth, and five people must battle to survive among the prehistoric predators. Starring Sam Neill, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum and Richard Attenborough, discover the breath-taking adventure you will want to experience again and again.
About Universal Products & Experiences
Universal Products & Experiences (UP&E) globally drives the expansion and elevation of NBCUniversal’s iconic collection of brands, intellectual properties, characters, and stories based on the company’s extensive portfolio of properties created by Universal Pictures, Illumination, DreamWorks Animation and NBCUniversal Television and Streaming. The division executes this through innovative physical and digital products, engaging retail and product experiences across our expansive global theme park destinations (for both owned and 3rd party IP), location-based venues, e-commerce product platforms, and retailers around the world. Along with global brand strategy and creative, UP&E’s three lines of business include Consumer Products, Games and Digital Platforms, as well as Theme Parks Products & Retail. UP&E is a division of Universal Parks & Resorts, part of NBCUniversal, a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation. More information is available at universalproductsexperiences.com
While there is a lot here, most are general merchandise tie-ins without much bravado, and we do notice a lack of real fan-events, such as the Jurassic Park 25th anniversary celebration panel at Universal Studios Hollywood.
Let’s hope more announcements are soon to come!
How are you celebrating the 30th Anniversary? Let us know in the comments!
If there is one consistent theme in the Jurassic fandom, it’s that almost everyone is asking the same question: when will there be a Jurassic Park video game that isn’t a park builder, mobile game, or something largely gimmick based? Today’s news certainly scratches some of those itches and looks to be a fun concept, though admittedly is still not the game most fans have been expecting.
‘Funko Fusion’ is a multiplayer action-adventure game from 10:10 games, featuring mashups of numerous worlds and characters from films and media, including Jurassic World! Watch the trailer and read the press release below:
While this certainly isn’t the game we’ve been looking for (seriously, when is the AAA story-driven Jurassic Park survival-adventure game coming?) it does look like it could be fun. Given the past success of titles like LEGO Jurassic World, there is a lot of potential for something great here – but it’s hard to not be a bit cynical given the lack of games aimed at the core Jurassic audience as well.
However, that seems to be a dinosaur-sized problem across the board for everything Jurassic… but that’s a conversation for another day.
I'm blown away by this experience, going to a Jurassic has always been a dream of mine but to be invited to one is something that will stay with me for life. I just want to say thank you to the people who support me/my content, without you guys I wouldn't be here.
The Super Colossal Indoraptor & Camouflage Indominus Rex are joining the Legacy Collection in this month’s episode of collector show Jurassic World: Beyond The Gates!
Check out the unveiling below:
Mattel’s Chandra Hicks returns to the show to unveil these two monstrous collectibles, and we hear from Glen McIntosh, a key artist and animator who helped bring the Indominus Rex to life in the Jurassic World films!
These two items that Dr. Wu is proud to call his children are now available to pre-order at Target! You can also pre-order the hat that Chris is wearing in the episode, directly over at Target.com!
What do you think of these new Mattel items? Share your thoughts down below!
Be sure to check out the lasttwo episodes of Beyond The Gates.
A new trademark has been revealed by Universal Studios that something new is on the horizon for the ‘Jurassic World’ franchise: ‘Jurassic World Explorers’!
There have been images of a preschool toy line (first revealed at UK retailer Toyopolis), but the all-new trademark reveals there is also a media or series component.
“JURASSIC WORLD EXPLORERS is Entertainment services in the nature of film, television series, short form entertainment content, videos and podcasts in the field of news, sports, comedy, drama, music and variety content; entertainment services in the nature of the production and distribution of film, television series, short form entertainment content, videos, podcasts and games featuring news, entertainment, sports, comedy, drama, music and variety content; providing a website, images and non-downloadable videos in the field of news, sports and entertainment via the internet, mobile and wireless networks; providing interactive online computer games; amusement park attraction and theme park services; live stage performances, namely, presentation of live show performances; providing waterpark services; providing recreational areas for entertainment and amusement, namely, interactive play areas; providing events, contests, displays and exhibits in the field of news, sports and entertainment; providing on-demand and rental of film, television series, short form entertainment content, videos, podcasts and games in the fields of news, sports, comedy, drama, music and variety content; online non-downloadable electronic publications, namely, text and graphic works featuring news, sports and entertainment.”
While the summary of its trademark registration covers all potential venues that it could be used for, it doesn’t necessarily mean all of them will be fully executed. However, given the toy information leaks it is safe to assume ‘Jurassic World Explorers’ will at the very least be an animated show aimed at the younger audience. Whether it appears on Netflix, Peacock, or simply on YouTube is impossible to currently say, however if we were to bet we suspect it may air on the Jurassic World Kids YouTube channel in partnership with Mattel. While this is a far cry from what fans of the series were hoping for in the first venture away from ‘Jurassic World: Dominion’, it at least lends something in the meantime to younger audiences – perhaps utilizing the story to merge learning about animals, dinosaurs, and science in fun ways.
Given that ‘Jurassic World: Dominion’ was one of the only films to reach a billion dollars last year (with its prior two entries making even more), it’s only a matter of time before something more substantial gets produced. Whether it comes in the form of a new series (AKA a followup to Camp Cretaceous, which is rumored to debut next year), or a new film, is up to Universal to decide.
Are you interested in ‘Jurassic World Explorers’? What exactly do you think it will be? Share your comments below and stay tuned to Jurassic Outpost for the latest!
The following was an APRIL FOOLS article! But maybe Peacock SHOULD make a live-action ‘Jurassic’ show sometime, eh? It seemed like Universal already tested those waters with the wonderful internet short film ‘Battle At Big Rock’, right? Why not keep it going? Let’s roll that film again, shall we?
In a shocking special announcement, Peacock has revealed today that they have greenlit a brand-new live-action ‘Jurassic Park’ miniseries! The six-episode series event is already being filmed in Hawaii, New Orleans, New Mexico, and even parts of Cabo Blanco! It has a planned release date of June 2024!
Showrunner Rubecca Blartburt spoke exclusively to Jurassic Outpost with additional details:
“Peacock knew they wanted to do a show for ‘Jurassic Park’ for some time now, but they also wanted to make it as immediately trendy as possible. For many years now, ‘Jurassic’ fans around the world have gushed over the quilled Velociraptor from ‘Jurassic Park 3’. This reached an apex when the internet finally gave him a name that everyone unquestionably, universally, really just everywhere loved: Quilliam. This celebration of a classic raptor from the franchise now rivals Blue in popularity. In fact, I know Peacock originally wanted a spinoff centered on the famous ‘Jurassic World’ raptor. But after looking at charts that showed results from Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and private texts, they were shocked to instead discover that Quilliam was immensely more popular.”
We were surprised, to say the least, that our first live-action ‘Jurassic Park’ show would be centered on just one dinosaur like this. We pestered her for more. She told us some juicy details, but we were asked to keep it private. So of course, here is what she said:
“It’s called ‘The Quest For Quilliam’. And I know, you’d think with a title like that it would be a kids show. Very goofy, almost fantasy-like in nature, right? But no, we wanted to subvert everyone’s expectations. Disney did that with ‘Star Wars’ and look how well that turned out! We discovered that a lot of the popularity in the ‘Jurassic’ franchise right now comes from kids and families. But what about the adult audience? That’s why we are making this show very adult in nature instead. It will be filled with violence, gore, and my favorite: swearing.”
To say we were shocked would be an understatement. Rubecca Blartburt continues:
“The title of the show is just a façade to draw in the current younger ‘Jurassic’ audience and then scare the hell out of them! But the title itself isn’t really a lie. There is a ‘quest’ for Quilliam. He has escaped Isla Sorna by sneaking on a cruise ship that accidentally docked there, thinking it was Hawaii. Hilarious, since we are shooting portions of the show there in real life! Anyway, Quilliam ends up on the mainland as we follow his path of dominance around our world.”
We pressed her further about what kind of things would happen during Quilliam’s journey. Her response was surprising, to say the least:
“He sneaks upon hapless, unsuspecting people: couples in parks, farmers on ranches, people in movie theaters, and much more. Then, he rips them apart. But you root for him, because we show backstories of all the people before he kills them, and most of them REALLY deserve it. Bad teachers, cheating boyfriends, racist politicians: every bad thing you can think of gets represented. But, where’s the ‘quest’, right? Well, at the same time, we have this private investigator, Horath Brockenheimer, who is hot on Quilliam’s trail of death; going from state-to-state, country-to-country trying to one-up the dinosaur before the only people left in the world are the good ones.”
Unfortunately, despite our inquisitions, Rubecca Blartburt wouldn’t reveal the ending of the show. However, she did tease us some possibilities:
“Does the show end with Horath Brockenheimer killing Quilliam? Or does Quilliam get him first? Or does something else happen, like a bomb goes off killing them both, or they both get trapped together by some random third party? I can’t confirm. But I will say, we plan to film at least four different endings. Then, the week before our final episode, we will have a social media poll for which ending the audience wants the most. But will we choose the ending with the most votes, or the least votes? I won’t reveal.”
I guess we will find out the answers next July, only on Peacock!
To say we are excited for this new show would be an understatement. But how about you? Do you have the thirst to quench for the ‘Quest For Quilliam’? Let us know in the comments below, and as always, stay tuned to Jurassic Outpost for the latest!